We’re looking to enhance our team with a Proposal Writer, to help us increase our resource mobilisation through the development of high quality proposals, and building partnerships with both existing and new donors. Do you share our vision and mission? Are you passionate about women’s economic empowerment, and want to help more people lift themselves out of poverty? If so, maybe you are our new Proposal Writer!
Vacancy announcement – Proposal Writer
Hand in Hand Sweden is a non-governmental organisation based in Sweden. Together with our partner organisations, our vision is to eradicate poverty where we work. We work with entrepreneurships as an effective and sustainable way of fighting poverty. Where others see poverty, Hand in Hand sees grassroots entrepreneurs, full of energy and potential. We help channel their skills and ideas into jobs. They find a way out of poverty. We work primarily with women and young people, because we know that’s how we can make the most difference.
To be able to do this, Hand is Hand Sweden is growing substantially over the coming five years. One key component of this strategy is to expand our relationships with and funding from institutional donors. Therefore, we’re looking to enhance our team with a Proposal Writer, to help us increase our resource mobilisation through the development of high quality proposals, and building partnerships with both existing and new donors. Do you share our vision and mission? Are you passionate about women’s economic empowerment, and want to help more people lift themselves out of poverty? If so, maybe you are our new Proposal Writer!
As the Proposal Writer, you will be responsible for the development of new projects and proposals, working closely with the Head of Programs, other members of the program team, MEL Manager, Controller, and our partner organisations in India, Kenya and Zimbabwe. You will directly contribute to the achievement of the organisation’s annual fundraising target, specifically from institutions, larger foundations and funds.
Your key duties and responsibilities are to:
- Maintain and expand the organization’s success rate in fundraising from institutions and foundations, working closely with
- Coordinate and support the design of new project concepts together with programme colleagues and in-country programme teams, ensuring new projects are achievable and deliver maximum impact for programme members
- Manage the proposal development process from concept through to submission, coordinating inputs rom internal and external partners, drafting technical and organisational inputs, and liaising with funders
- Ensure proposal submissions meet donors’ compliance and criteria
- Contribute to the overall fundraising efforts through proactively identifying new opportunities and funding sources;
- Liaise with partner organisations to understand their funding needs and priorities
- Manage relationships with existing donors, inputting into engagement strategies, communicating with donors regularly
- Contribute to developing efficient and inclusive routines and processes for identifying funding opportunities, designing projects, and developing proposals, as well as building the competencies of our partner organisations in this.
We are looking for someone with the following functional competencies and skills:
- A university degree preferably in international development, economics, social sciences or a related field. A Master’s Degree will be an advantage.
- Demonstrable track record of writing successful large (> 5 MSEK) proposals to different types of institutional donors (governments, foundations, trusts), either on your own or as part of a team;
- High familiarity with standard proposal and project management tools such as logframes, workplans, and risk matrices, and comfortable with developing budgets;
- Understanding of proposal management, including prospecting, project design and proposal writing;
- Familiarity with large institutional donors, such as Sida, European Union or the UN, with experience of building relationships with government agency or foundations’ grant-giving staff;
- A minimum of three years’ experience working with an international or local NGO in similar capacity;
- A strong interest in the development challenges and debates linked to enterprise and job creation, and/or women’s economic empowerment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to establish, build and maintain effective working relationships with staff and partners, across cultures and different working environments;
- A strong ability to work with colleagues remotely;
- High attention to detail and an ability to effectively prioritise between competing deadlines and objectives;
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral) in English; Swedish is a plus.
The following will be an advantage:
- Experience from securing funds from private donors, through tailoring proposals to different audiences;
- A general familiarity with monitoring and evaluation as it links to implementing successful development projects;
- Specific knowledge within one or several of Hand in Hand’s focus areas: livelihoods, women’s economic empowerment, market development, rural development, agriculture, human rights, climate change adaptation;
- Experience from working with development or humanitarian programmes in the Global South.
Hand in Hand Sweden’s office is located centrally in Stockholm, near Östermalmstorg. Our 20-strong team specialises in fundraising, communications, program management, monitoring, evaluation and learning, technical advice and donor relations. This position will be based within the Program Team, which works closely with all our Hand in Hand network partners, currently based in India, Kenya, Zimbabwe, and the UK. The position is full-time, for an initial 12 months, with the possibility to extend depending on funding and performance.
Please send your CV and personal letter outlining how you meet the job criteria and why you want to work with Hand in Hand Sweden to email@example.com, using Proposal Writer in the subject line. The deadline for application is 1st of December. Interviews are held on an ongoing basis.
For general inquiries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hand in Hand Sweden is party to Arbetsgivaralliansens’ collective agreement. For inquiries relevant to the local union club (Unionen), please contact: email@example.com